Five things companies should consider before they scale up
- Nothing is guaranteed. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and maybe (just maybe) selling out early is the best option for you. Sure, there'll be the NBR trolls hating on you, but there ain't nothing wrong with a million bucks for a few years work.
- Want life balance, positive relationships outside of work, and to engage in other hobbies? Maybe going big doesn't align with your other goals. Again, be realistic. If you're up for some seriously hard work for a few years, then go for it. But if you want to be a good partner, parent or community members, think long and hard about that.
- Those VCs who get paid based on the returns they achieve for your investors? Nope, they don't care about you beyond what you can do to deliver them multiples. They might be nice people, but they have a job to do – and that is to make a return for the people entrusting their money with them.
- We're a market of four million people. If you suffer from jetlag, are scared of flying or have a criminal record that means getting into the US is hard... think again. Our version of crossing the chasm happens early – get good at long haul flying.
- It's a wild ride and, if it works within your external constraints, going big is an incredible adrenaline rush. Illicit drugs are illegal, start-ups aren't. The high is (so I'm led to believe) similar.
Idealog has been covering the most interesting people, businesses and issues from the fields of innovation, design, technology and urban development for over 12 years. And we're asking for your support so we can keep telling those stories, inspire more entrepreneurs to start their own businesses and keep pushing New Zealand forward. Give over $5 a month and you will not only be supporting New Zealand innovation, but you’ll also receive a print subscription and a copy of the new book by David Downs and Dr. Michelle Dickinson, No. 8 Recharged (while stocks last).
Idealog is part of ICG. We work with clients like Woolworths New Zealand, All Good, Huffer, Liquorland, Resene, Citta Design, TVNZ, Spark and FCB on their event activations, in-store, in-office or out-of-home signage, content creation and vehicle wraps.