Nineteen New Zealand tech businesses have been awarded $59 million over three years in R&D grants, including Vend, Gameloft, MEA Mobile and Weta Digital.
R&D Growth Grants were introduced last year as an expansion of the previous Technology Development Grants, as part of changes to R&D funding designed to encourage more research and development to be undertaken by businesses in New Zealand.
“This new funding follows last month’s announcement of more than $140 million over three years for the first 31 companies under the new grants scheme. So far $200 million has been awarded to 50 high tech companies," says science and innovation minister Steven Joyce.
They provide 20 percent public co-funding for qualifying firms’ eligible R&D expenditure, with an expanded cap of $5 million per annum - up from the previous scheme’s $2.4 million. After two years of funding, businesses can be granted a further two-year extension of funding by Callaghan Innovation, Science and Innovation.
To qualify for a Growth Grant, a business needs to commit to spend at least $300,000, and at least 1.5 per cent of revenue, on R&D occurring in New Zealand. R&D Project Grants are available for smaller companies and those that are new to research and development, while incubator support programmes assist start-up businesses.
The latest companies to be awarded R&D Growth Grants are:
- Apex Valves Limited
- Barker Fruit Processors Limited
- Compac Sorting Equipment Limited (read more: Compac tops the hi-tech tables)
- Fiserv New Zealand Limited
- FlexiDrill Construction Limited
- Gameloft New Zealand Limited (read more: Gameloft Auckland celebrates three-ish years)
- Gentrack Group Limited
- Imarda NZ Limited
- International Telematics Limited
- Mea Mobile Limited (read more: MEA Mobile's rise to the top)
- Pacific Edge Limited (read more: Pacific Edge ekes out supreme award)
- Phil & Teds Most Excellent Buggy Company Limited (read more: Why the wheels fell off)
- SAP New Zealand Limited
- The Simpl Group Limited
- Temperzone Limited
- Tasman Tanning Company Limited
- TracMap NZ Limited
- Vend Limited (read more: Vend raises $8m more towards expansion)
- Weta Digital Limited (read more: All the world's a stage)
Idealog has been covering the most interesting people, businesses and issues from the fields of innovation, design, technology and urban development for over 12 years. And we're asking for your support so we can keep telling those stories, inspire more entrepreneurs to start their own businesses and keep pushing New Zealand forward. Give over $5 a month and you will not only be supporting New Zealand innovation, but you’ll also receive a print subscription, an Idealog t-shirt and a copy of the new book by David Downs and Dr. Michelle Dickinson, No. 8 Recharged (while stocks last).