Five important issues that you want to see the tech industry to tackle
- Stop the ridiculous ‘How can we be the next Silicon Valley and/or Israel?’ conversations.
- Realise that we're better off trying to be the best version of New Zealand rather than a watered down version of someplace else.
- Resolving the funding issues so there is a coherent path from seed to angel to VC to IPO or exit all within our own ecosystem.
- Stop the handwringing when a company sells offshore.
- Avoid the temptation to identify success by how many start-up weekends, TEDx events or dodgy inspirational videos an individual has appeared in. Rather, measure success by stuff that matters: jobs created, revenue generated, exits achieved.
Idealog has been covering the most interesting people, businesses and issues from the fields of innovation, design, technology and urban development for over 12 years. And we're asking for your support so we can keep telling those stories, inspire more entrepreneurs to start their own businesses and keep pushing New Zealand forward. Give over $5 a month and you will not only be supporting New Zealand innovation, but you’ll also receive a print subscription and a copy of the new book by David Downs and Dr. Michelle Dickinson, No. 8 Recharged (while stocks last).
Idealog is part of ICG. We work with clients like Woolworths New Zealand, All Good, Huffer, Liquorland, Resene, Citta Design, TVNZ, Spark and FCB on their event activations, in-store, in-office or out-of-home signage, content creation and vehicle wraps.