The sandwich shop, opened up on Queen Street, was part of a campaign that invited New Zealanders to submit their ideas for the best sandwich. Each week one sandwich was chosen to sell alongside the others and the winner got to keep all the money their creation made.
The winning sandwiches included:
- Emily's 'The lamb and beet' - Molenberg Light Grains bread, pickled beetroot relish, roast lamb, tomatoes, cucumber, iceberg lettuce and red onion.
- Gail's ‘Cranberry Chick’ - Molenberg Soy and Linseed bread, shredded chicken, mayonnaise, dijon mustard, dried cranberries, spring onion, butterhead lettuce.
- Bronwyn's ‘Pastrami and Swiss’ - Molenberg Original bread, mayonnaise, pastrami, gherkins, Swiss cheese, lettuce and dijon mustard.
- ‘Kirs' 'Teriyaki Chicken ’ - Molenberg Original bread, Japanese Kewpie mayo, sliced red cabbage, teriyaki chicken breast, spring onions.
- Hope's ‘Hello Halloumi’ - Molenberg Original bread, caramelised red onion, dry fried halloumi, fried egg, grilled mushrooms, baby spinach and aioli. Then toasted.
At the end of the campaign the five weekly winners went head-to-head for the final week. Hope’s ‘Hello Halloumi’ was the winner, keeping the total takings of all the sandwiches sold that week.
Special Group general manager Hilary Cootes said there had been a lot of positive feedback on the shop.
“Molenberg succeeded in inspiring people and showing them just how great a sandwich can be.”
Special Group design director Heath Lowe said it wanted to create a space that felt like "fresh, everyday Kiwi goodness - the perfect sandwich shop for the perfect sandwich bread".
For Special Group creative partner Rob Jack, the project was the perfect opportunity to show off Molenberg as the perfect sandwich bread.
“In Molenberg we had an innovative partner. Their commitment to launching and running a sandwich shop to showcase the potential of their iconic brand has been second to none."
The campaign was promoted across multiple mediums including packaging, point of sale, radio, digital, social, PR, sampling and outdoor.
For more sandwich-oriented inspirado, check out the classic sandwich-fetish site, scanwiches.com.
Idealog has been covering the most interesting people, businesses and issues from the fields of innovation, design, technology and urban development for over 12 years. And we're asking for your support so we can keep telling those stories, inspire more entrepreneurs to start their own businesses and keep pushing New Zealand forward. Give over $5 a month and you will not only be supporting New Zealand innovation, but you’ll also receive a print subscription and a copy of the new book by David Downs and Dr. Michelle Dickinson, No. 8 Recharged (while stocks last).
Idealog is part of ICG. We work with clients like Woolworths New Zealand, All Good, Huffer, Liquorland, Resene, Citta Design, TVNZ, Spark and FCB on their event activations, in-store, in-office or out-of-home signage, content creation and vehicle wraps.