Winners of the Vodafone Innovation Technology Award, Tompkins Wake IP and Commercialisation Award, Callaghan Innovation Partnership & Collaboration Award and Fieldays Grassroots Prototype Award, MyApiary is an all-in-one apiary operations and performance management software system, custom-built for commercial beekeepers. Features include a beehive GPS tracker, hive monitor, and more. Even better, it can all be controlled via smartphone.
Agribusiness students from St Paul’s Collegiate School were awarded the Young Inventor of the Year Award. Year 13 students George Dyer, Robert Morbey, James Mitchell and William Eyre developed ‘De-Fence’, a simple but effective tool for removing old gate-latch staples from posts. It saves farmer’s valuable time, money and physical stress with the ease of removing the staple.
The group of young innovators developed the product in one of their Agribusiness classes at St Paul’s. Two other St Pauls’ groups were are also entered into the Fieldays Innovation Awards, having designed the products Ride Safe – a quad bike helmet that does not allow the vehicle to start without the helmet being secured – a and Flash Inc., an LED strobe light fitted under a tractor bonnet to deter birds from nesting in the engine.
The Agribusiness programme at St Paul’s was created with support from DairyNZ, Beef + Lamb New Zealand and 11 other Agricultural business partners to inspire secondary school students to consider a career in the primary sector.
The team behind De-Fence.
Hydratorq with BioFume Ozone
Snagging the Locus Research Innovation Award and Fieldays Innovation Launch Award, this innovation is a machine that is able to use ozone more effectively to clean things. It reduces the necessity of using expensive (and dangerous, not to mention environmentally destructive) chemicals.
The company also manufactures numerous other products, like mulchers and stump grinders.
2017 Fieldays Innovation Award winners
- Fieldays Young Inventor of the Year – St Paul’s Collegiate School, De-Fence
- Vodafone Innovation Technology Award – MyApiary
- Locus Research Innovation Award – Hydratorg and BioFume
- Origin Innovation IP Award – Spectrum Innovations with the M6 13 Auto Sawmill
- Tompkins Wake IP and Commercialisation Award – MyApiary
- Callaghan Innovation Partnership & Collaboration Award – MyApiary
- Fieldays Grassroots Prototype Award – MyApiary for MyApiary Hive Monitor
- Fieldays Established Prototype Award – Taege Engineering with Power Discs
- Fieldays Innovation Launch NZ Highly Commended Award – StockX for Prime Stock Platform
- Fieldays Innovation Launch Award – Hydratorg with BioFume Ozone
Idealog has been covering the most interesting people, businesses and issues from the fields of innovation, design, technology and urban development for over 12 years. And we're asking for your support so we can keep telling those stories, inspire more entrepreneurs to start their own businesses and keep pushing New Zealand forward. Give over $5 a month and you will not only be supporting New Zealand innovation, but you’ll also receive a print subscription, an Idealog t-shirt and a copy of the new book by David Downs and Dr. Michelle Dickinson, No. 8 Recharged (while stocks last).