Registrations are now open for Energy at the Crossroads: Energy Innovation for a Sustainable Society, a two-day conference to explore new energy technologies.
There will be a number of keynote speeches and presentations from leading international and New Zealand-based experts on a wide range of energy issues and opportunities, hosted by Victoria University and National Energy Research Institute (NERI).
Paul Atkins, chief executive of NERI and conference convenor, says: “The aim of this conference is to stimulate discussion, engagement and collaboration between researchers, businesses, planners, engineers, Māori and government organisations in making informed decisions on long-term options for our national, sustainable energy future.”
One keynote speaker is Dr Jeremy Leggett, a social entrepreneur, author of The Carbon War and Half Gone, founder of Solarcentury and founder and chairman of SolarAid, an African solar lighting charity set up with Solarcentury profits.
Recently, Leggett established a for-profit social venture called SunnyMoney—an organisation that sells solar lanterns in Africa, and aims to play a lead role by 2020 in replacing the use of kerosene lanterns across the continent.
• Dr Jeremy Leggett, founder and non-executive chairman of Solarcentury and founder and Chairman of SolarAid
• Michael Bennetts, Chief Executive of Z Energy Ltd
• Rawiri Faulkner, General Manager—Māori Strategy at Te Pū Ao—GNS Science
• Professor George Gross, Professor in the Institute of Government and Public Affairs
• Professor Philippa Howden-Chapman, Director of He Kainga Oranga / Housing and Health, University of Otago, Wellington
• Professor John Loughhead, Executive Director of UK Energy Research Centre
• Dr Janet Stephenson, Director of the Centre for Sustainability at the University of Otago
When: February 12-14
Where: Te Papa Tongarewa, Wellington
Idealog has been covering the most interesting people, businesses and issues from the fields of innovation, design, technology and urban development for over 12 years. And we're asking for your support so we can keep telling those stories, inspire more entrepreneurs to start their own businesses and keep pushing New Zealand forward. Give over $5 a month and you will not only be supporting New Zealand innovation, but you’ll also receive a print subscription and a copy of the new book by David Downs and Dr. Michelle Dickinson, No. 8 Recharged (while stocks last).
Idealog is part of ICG. We work with clients like Woolworths New Zealand, All Good, Huffer, Liquorland, Resene, Citta Design, TVNZ, Spark and FCB on their event activations, in-store, in-office or out-of-home signage, content creation and vehicle wraps.