Sidart culinary guru Sid Sahrawat cooks up a different storm every day in his aptly named Test Kitchen in Auckland's Ponsonby. Diners are given an envelope containing a list of ingredients and what follows is eight courses designed with those in mind. To keep everyone on their toes, the goalposts shift every week. We asked him to put his magic to work creating a special Idealog dish just for us.
ASPARAGUS, PEAR AND RASPBERRY SALAD
Serves four as an entree
150 grams fresh raspberries
200 mls water
3 leaves gelatine (I use titanium leaves from Sabato but you can use powder if preferred)
Two isi chargers (nitrous oxide)
1. Combine raspberries and water in a saucepan and bring to a fast simmer.
2. Remove from heat.
3. Blitz the raspberry and water mixture to a fine puree using a blender or food processor
4. Soak the gelatine in cold water until soft.
5. Remove gelatine from water and strain any excess water by squeezing the leaves with your hands.
6. Stir the gelatine leaves into the raspberry mix while still warm.
7. Pass the mixture through a fine sieve and pour into the siphon.
8. Charge the siphon with the isi bulb.
9. Refrigerate the raspberry foam for at least two hours before using.
250 grams fresh asparagus
1. Peel the asparagus and discard any woody bits.
2. Finely slice asparagus.
3. Briefly blanch the asparagus and refresh in iced water.
150 grams Parma ham
150 grams freshly peeled and sliced Jerusalem artichokes
50 grams freeze dried pears (from Fresh As)
25 grams dried olives
A selection of fresh herbs and edible flowers
Salt to taste
Citrus olive oil
1. Spoon the raspberry foam into the middle of a plate, gently place the Parma ham around it, followed by the artichokes, asparagus, pears, olives, herbs and edible flowers.
2. Season with salt.
3. Drizzle over some citrus olive oil and serve immediately.
Idealog has been covering the most interesting people, businesses and issues from the fields of innovation, design, technology and urban development for over 12 years. And we're asking for your support so we can keep telling those stories, inspire more entrepreneurs to start their own businesses and keep pushing New Zealand forward. Give over $5 a month and you will not only be supporting New Zealand innovation, but you’ll also receive a print subscription, an Idealog t-shirt and a copy of the new book by David Downs and Dr. Michelle Dickinson, No. 8 Recharged (while stocks last).