The X Media Lab's Keynote Conference in Auckland set the tone for the rest of the weekend, bringing high energy and challenging ideas to the fore.
Intended as both a standalone conference, and also a scene-setter for the mentoring to come for lab participants, the keynotes emphasised what the X in X Media stands for -
- cross-platform (speakers came from the gaming, publishing, entertainment, interactive, social media and traditional media worlds)
- cross-disciplinary (we have entrepreneurs, publishers, journalists, venture capitalists, and more..)
- and perhaps the most intriguing—cross-cultural. Several presentations (including Parmesh Shahani's) spoke of the importance of combining complementary strengths across nations.
Some key thoughts ...
- Media is converging, and we all need to be multilingual. Filmmakers need to learn to think like developers, and vice versa, and they both need to learn to think like entrepreneurs.
- Venture capitalists can be bad for your business -and this even from Tim Chang, who's a VC. His sage advice - don't chase VCs, set yourself up so they chase you. (Not easy, but not impossible either)
Idealog has been covering the most interesting people, businesses and issues from the fields of innovation, design, technology and urban development for over 12 years. And we're asking for your support so we can keep telling those stories, inspire more entrepreneurs to start their own businesses and keep pushing New Zealand forward. Give over $5 a month and you will not only be supporting New Zealand innovation, but you’ll also receive a print subscription, an Idealog t-shirt and a copy of the new book by David Downs and Dr. Michelle Dickinson, No. 8 Recharged (while stocks last).