Today Spotify celebrates its first birthday in the country, hitting our shores a year ago and liberating us of having to buy and own music.
For more intriguing stats about technology in New Zealand, sign up to the Idealog Tech newsletter
Here are some of the stats that the service and New Zealanders have racked up in that time. We would've also liked some user numbers and ad figures, but Spotify is notoriously cagey about breaking out how many paid customers it has in New Zealand:
- New Zealanders have streamed over 10 million hours of music (over 1140 years of music)
- We've created over 3.4 million playlists on Spotify
- Over 55,000 playlists are about love, romance and sexy times
- High flying Kiwis have put together 42,000 playlists for travelling
- Fit Kiwis have put together 33,000 playlists for exercising to
- Wedding songs and matrimonial tunes make up 7,000 playlists
- US rapper Macklemore and music producer Ryan Lewis have been the most streamed artist this year, followed by Rihanna, Ed Sheeran and Maroon 5
- The duo's chart-topping 'Thriftshop' was the most played song
- Six60 was the most streamed local artist, followed by Lorde
- The top local track was Titanium's 'Come on Home'
According to Nielsen Online Ratings, Spotify had 29,000 unique users on its site at launch last year, then month by month had 51,000, 55,000, 83,000, 119,000 and 162,000 in October. Since then it dropped to 132,000 in November last year and 139,000 in January before hitting a high of 172,000 in February, 158,000 in March and 169,000 in April.
Top 10 Artists
1 Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
3 Ed Sheeran
4 Maroon 5
5 Lana Del Rey
6 One Direction
8 Bruno Mars
9 Mumford & Sons
10 Calvin Harris
Top 10 Tracks
1 Thrift Shop feat Wanz - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
2 Don't You Worry Child (Radio Edit) [feat. John Martin] - Swedish House Mafia
3 Diamonds - Rihanna
4 Little Talks - Of Monsters and Men
5 Same Love - feat. Mary Lambert - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
6 Gangnam Style - Psy
7 We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together - Taylor Swift
8 Some Nights - Fun.
9 Impossible - James Arthur
10 Can't Hold Us - feat. Ray Dalton - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
Top 3 Local Tracks
1 Come On Home - Titanium
2 Forever - Six60
3 Take It Easy - Carl Dimataga Remix - Stan Walker
Top 5 Albums
1 + - Ed Sheeran
2 The Heist - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
3 My Head Is An Animal - Of Monsters and Men
4 Take Me Home: Yearbook Edition - One Direction
5 Born to Die - Lana Del Rey
Idealog has been covering the most interesting people, businesses and issues from the fields of innovation, design, technology and urban development for over 12 years. And we're asking for your support so we can keep telling those stories, inspire more entrepreneurs to start their own businesses and keep pushing New Zealand forward. Give over $5 a month and you will not only be supporting New Zealand innovation, but you’ll also receive a print subscription and a copy of the new book by David Downs and Dr. Michelle Dickinson, No. 8 Recharged (while stocks last).
Idealog is part of ICG. We work with clients like Woolworths New Zealand, All Good, Huffer, Liquorland, Resene, Citta Design, TVNZ, Spark and FCB on their event activations, in-store, in-office or out-of-home signage, content creation and vehicle wraps.