The iPhone 5 – thinner, faster, lighter – will be available in New Zealand on September 28, with pre-orders starting from September 21.
The iPhone 5 will retail for a recommended $1049 (16GB), $1199 (32GB) or $1349 (64GB).
That means the price of the iPhone 4S and 4 will drop to $899 and $599 respectively.
But more importantly, what will you get for your money?
* iOS 6 with over 200 new features including the all new Maps app with
Apple-designed cartography and turn-by-turn navigation
* A 7.6 mm anodised aluminum body that is 18 percent thinner and 20 percent lighter than iPhone 4S.
* A new 4-inch retina display that is taller, not wider.
* Support for ultrafast wireless standards including LTE and wi-fi support forup to 150 Mbps.
* An all-new A6 chip with up to twice the CPU and graphics performance.
* An 8 megapixel camera and new FaceTime HD front facing camera. The new iSight camera in iPhone 5 includes a panorama feature that lets you capture images of up to 28 megapixels by moving the camera across a scene in one smooth motion.
* A new Lightning connector to attach to computers and chargers. An adapter will also be available to connect the iPhone 5 to old-style accessories.
* A new directional microphone system for higher quality sound and new Apple EarPods earphones.
Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of worldwide marketing, says the iPhone 5 is the company's most beautiful consumer device to date.
“We’ve packed an amazing amount of innovation and advanced technology into a thin and light, jewel-like device with a stunning 4-inch Retina display, blazing fast A6 chip, ultrafast wireless, even longer battery life; and we think customers are going to love it.”
Idealog has been covering the most interesting people, businesses and issues from the fields of innovation, design, technology and urban development for over 12 years. And we're asking for your support so we can keep telling those stories, inspire more entrepreneurs to start their own businesses and keep pushing New Zealand forward. Give over $5 a month and you will not only be supporting New Zealand innovation, but you’ll also receive a print subscription, an Idealog t-shirt and a copy of the new book by David Downs and Dr. Michelle Dickinson, No. 8 Recharged (while stocks last).