Napier, the home of art deco, is hosting the annual conference of the NSW division of the Australian Institute of Architects next month.
Running from October 1-6, Across The Ditch will bring together Australian and New Zealand architects to discuss the need for regional cities and towns to retain their individual character – and the alternatives to soulless, anonymous development.
And in the wake of recent natural disasters in Australia, New Zealand and other countries including Japan, the conference will also focus on how contemporary architects can respond to the challenge of creating new communities while maintaining their regional identity and without necessarily replicating the past.
· Peter Steele, Moreland Foundation (NZ)
· Geoffrey Moyle, Construction Planning & Economics (Aus)
· Ron Massey, Napier City Council (NZ)
· Gerard Reinmuth, Terroir/University of Technology, Sydney (Aus)
· David Trubridge (NZ)
· Ian Athfield, Athfield Architects (NZ)
· Anton Tritt, The Buchan Group (NZ)
· Pip Cheshire, Cheshire Architects (NZ)
· Micheal Smythe, author New Zealand by Design (NZ)
· Christopher Kelly, Architecture Workshop (NZ)
· Mark Eggleston, Shirlaws (Aus)
· Jennifer Hill (NZ)
Idealog has been covering the most interesting people, businesses and issues from the fields of innovation, design, technology and urban development for over 12 years. And we're asking for your support so we can keep telling those stories, inspire more entrepreneurs to start their own businesses and keep pushing New Zealand forward. Give over $5 a month and you will not only be supporting New Zealand innovation, but you’ll also receive a print subscription and a copy of the new book by David Downs and Dr. Michelle Dickinson, No. 8 Recharged (while stocks last).
Idealog is part of ICG. We work with clients like Woolworths New Zealand, All Good, Huffer, Liquorland, Resene, Citta Design, TVNZ, Spark and FCB on their event activations, in-store, in-office or out-of-home signage, content creation and vehicle wraps.