Take the creative juices of a design industry veteran and add a splash of modern rock, and what do you get? ‘MAKE SOMETHING’—a creative, genre-defining mash-up, which creeps beyond regular commercial boundaries.
Founded by graphic designer Bevan Tonks and joined by five other leading New Zealand graphic designers, MAKE SOMETHING participants have been thrown a challenge; given absolute free reign, who would you choose to work with from the creative industries and what would the results of that mash-up be?
From Fur Patrol’s Julia Dean, to a former Visual Effects producer with Oscar Winning VFX company The Mill, the collaborations blend a mix of New Zealand creative talents from across architecture, product design, fashion, music and visual effects.
This is the first exhibition in what Tonks sees will become an annual event, within Auckland and further afield.
When: 26 – 28 November
Where: Achilles House, Cnr Custom Street East and Commerce Street, Auckland.
Time: 10am-4.00pm daily
The 2010 collaborative partnerships are:
- Brogen Averill (Designer) and Jamie McLennan (Product Designer, ex Tom Dixon, UK)
- Xanthe Harrison (Designer) and Anja Harrison (Assistant Runway Designer, House of Balenciaga, Paris)
- Tana Mitchell (Designer) and Julia Deans (Singer/Songwriter, ex Fur Patrol, NZ)
- Dean Poole (Designer) and Mechanical Turk (Amazon-based crowd sourcing initiative)
- Bevan Tonks (Designer) and Davor Popadich (Architect, Patterson Associates)
- Leonie Whyte (Designer) and Angela Jackson (Visual Effects Producer, NZ)
Idealog has been covering the most interesting people, businesses and issues from the fields of innovation, design, technology and urban development for over 12 years. And we're asking for your support so we can keep telling those stories, inspire more entrepreneurs to start their own businesses and keep pushing New Zealand forward. Give over $5 a month and you will not only be supporting New Zealand innovation, but you’ll also receive a print subscription, an Idealog t-shirt and a copy of the new book by David Downs and Dr. Michelle Dickinson, No. 8 Recharged (while stocks last).