The iPhone 5 – thinner, faster, lighter – will be available in New Zealand on September 28, with pre-orders starting from September 21.
The iPhone 5 will retail for a recommended $1049 (16GB), $1199 (32GB) or $1349 (64GB).
That means the price of the iPhone 4S and 4 will drop to $899 and $599 respectively.
But more importantly, what will you get for your money?
* iOS 6 with over 200 new features including the all new Maps app with
Apple-designed cartography and turn-by-turn navigation
* A 7.6 mm anodised aluminum body that is 18 percent thinner and 20 percent lighter than iPhone 4S.
* A new 4-inch retina display that is taller, not wider.
* Support for ultrafast wireless standards including LTE and wi-fi support forup to 150 Mbps.
* An all-new A6 chip with up to twice the CPU and graphics performance.
* An 8 megapixel camera and new FaceTime HD front facing camera. The new iSight camera in iPhone 5 includes a panorama feature that lets you capture images of up to 28 megapixels by moving the camera across a scene in one smooth motion.
* A new Lightning connector to attach to computers and chargers. An adapter will also be available to connect the iPhone 5 to old-style accessories.
* A new directional microphone system for higher quality sound and new Apple EarPods earphones.
Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of worldwide marketing, says the iPhone 5 is the company's most beautiful consumer device to date.
“We’ve packed an amazing amount of innovation and advanced technology into a thin and light, jewel-like device with a stunning 4-inch Retina display, blazing fast A6 chip, ultrafast wireless, even longer battery life; and we think customers are going to love it.”